This will be an individual Swiss tournament with 5 sections, but trophies will be awarded based on team performance.
- Date: Friday, October 20th (2017), January 19th (2018), April 20th (2018)
- Time: 6:30-9:00pm
- Location: Belmont Public Library
- Pre-registration is required (http://januarypcl.eventbrite.com/).
- There will be 5 sections:
- USCF advanced section (approx rating 800-1200)
- USCF intermediate section (approx rating 400-800)
- USCF beginner section (approx rated under 400)
- Unrated 4th-8th grade
- Unrated K-3rd grade
- Each section will have about 15-20 players.
- All games in the USCF sections will be USCF Quick-Rated.
- Time control for USCF sections: G/15; d3 (game in 15 minutes with a 3 second delay)
- Time control for unrated sections: G/18 (no delay)
- Each player will play 3 games.
- Individual Swiss format, except players are guaranteed not to play against other players from their school.
- Round times: 6:45pm, 7:25pm, 8:15pm. Trophies: 8:55pm
- Players must play for the school they currently attend, except 5th graders (and below) may play for their elementary school alma mater
- Trophies will mainly be distributed based on team performance. Limited individual trophies will be available. See below for details.
- Your team has a better chance of winning trophies if your team has more players, so encourage your classmates to register.
- Players who score a perfect 3.0 in the K-3 unrated section will be asked to play in the 4th-8th grade section in the next tournament. Players who score a perfect 3.0 in the 4th-8th grade unrated section will be asked to join the USCF for the next tournament.
Scoring subject to change based on number of sections, but scoring will be something like this for team trophy purposes:
- USCF advanced section: 42 points per win (21 points per draw). Expected rating range for section: 800 - 1200 (may be modified to balance sections)
- USCF intermediate section: 38 points per win. Expected rating range for section: 400-800 (may be modified to balance sections)
- USCF beginner section: 34 points per win. Expected rating range for section: under 400 (may be modified to balance sections)
- Unrated 4th-8th grade: 28 points per win
- Unrated K-3rd grade: 24 points per win
- USCF members must play in USCF section (exceptions may be made for players rated under 200).
- Non-members may play in unrated sections, or become members to play in USCF rated sections. Sign up for USCF membership here (memberships start at $17 per year).
- Unrated USCF members will be placed in an appropriate USCF section (TD discretion).
- Rated USCF members may not play below their section, but can optionally play in a higher section even if they are lower-rated. Exception: provisionally-rated USCF members may be placed in lower rated section at TD's discretion.
- The latest USCF Quick Ratings will be used for section and pairing purposes.
Team scores are based on the combined scores of the top players on that team. Trophies awarded:
- Best Super team (6 players)
- Best Large team (5 players)
- Best Standard team (4 players)
- Best Small team (3 players)
- Best Mini team (2 players)
- To qualify for a team trophy, a team *must* have at least the required number of players.
- Only the top scoring players on the team get a trophy (i.e., for a standard team, only the top 4 get trophies; ties broken by tie-breaks).
- A team cannot win more than 1 trophy. e.g., a team winning the Large team trophy is disallowed from winning the Standard team trophy.
- There will be trophies for individual players with perfect 3.0 scores, but only to those who didn't already win a team trophy (an individual can't win two trophies).
Example: Team A has 6 players, with point totals of 126, 102, 85, 75, 66, and 55, so their 6-player total is 509 and 5-player total is 454. Team B has 6 players, with point totals of 105, 102, 90, 60, 45, 34, so their 6-player total is 436, and 5-player total is 402. Then Team A wins the 6-player team trophies, and Team B wins the 5-player team trophies (since their 5-player total is best of the remaining teams).